Saturday, October 2, 2010

Memor Nixor


I love Football. I love Chelsea. Some smart alec quips, how can you do both at the same time? I retort, how can't you?
This has happened more than often, and more than often, they never find any rational comeback, preferring senseless abuse instead. I have met all too few proper FANS of football. You're a supporter if you just go for a club by trophy count.
I think I stand alone in my school as a fan of Chelsea. I think no one whose support is limited to a 'chelc roxxxx' on Facebook and the same atrocious pronunciation when they say it, even knows our foundation year. I think I am one of the few lovers of Tait-Robertson and the hastily arranged team that finished THIRD, behind Bristol and Manchester United (who had been playing for 8 and 27 more years respectively than newly-born Chelsea, might I point out). And I know I love the solitude.
This has been a very painstaking compilation. Most articles I've read by supporters of other clubs (I've never known anyone to even BOTHER writing something for Chelsea) are either Wikipedian Wonders or shamelessly filched from club websites.
No one will ever know how many links I went through just to get this done. Bear in mind that old Chelsea data isn't as freely accessible as those of other clubs, being a fledgling club in terms of success before becoming the near-invincible powerhouse that we are today after a LOT of hardship and many heroes who pulled us through. This is a rags to riches story in its most essential sense. From being bought at 1 pound to having 1 billion pounds invested in it. We have come a long way. But I for one will never forget our history. What history? scoff Mancunians, Liverpudlians and Gooners. A history of near misses and perennial underachievement punctuated with flashes of brilliance, I reply defiantly. There are stories that you will never have but would have been proud of. With this I will begin my Remembrance series, starting with our first ever season, as soon as I can gather every stat necessary and I already possess quite a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment